I’m cycling to work again tomorrow. It’s been months since the last attempt, but the weather looks good and I’m getting some lovely positive peer pressure. But just in case I want to bail in the morning, a list of reasons why I should:
10. The vertical shower stall at the office means I won’t have to shave my legs tomorrow – yay!
9. No chance of a repeat of today’s conversation on the tube, overheard by the 25 year old dude and his roommate next to me (all of us, armpit to armpit): “Ah, the lovely smell of Old Spice”. “Really? I can only smell cedar chips.” “Yeah, but just wait until it’s raining again.” “Yeah, the worst is those Barbour coats, they just waft.” I almost woozed just listening to them.
8. The Thames.
6. Two pounds and thirty pence (X 1.60 dollar conversion) X2. That pays for lunch, every day. Well, at least tomorrow.
5. Forces early arrival and on-time departure from the office on account of traffic.
4. Get to play “Frogger” with real life sample sizes. (Music optional.)
3. Chance to work on my British swear words and slang (directed only at what promises to be evil cabbies and double-decker bus drivers)
2. Enjoyment of being an “amateur” pedaling at my pace while annoyed London cyclists zip around me and huff. Nothing more fun than pissing off an angry commuter.
1. The look on the guys faces at the office when I finally show up. The smugness of the Boy Mafia does wear thin after a while….